This tutorial on 3ds Max will explain how to create quickly a city in 3ds Max.
It needs the greeble plugin available here http://max.klanky.com/plugins.htm.
1. Create a plane with 20 segments width and height
2. You'll obtain this result on top view
3. Transform your plane in edit poly
4. Select these polygons that will be the roads
5. Detach these polygons
6. Name the object "Roads"
7. Apply the greeble modifier to the first plane with these parameters
8. You must obtain this magical result
9. Select these set of materials in the greeble plugin parameters
10. Than apply a Multi/Sub Object materials to your city to obtain this